[Bf-committers] Epic MegaGrant

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jul 17 19:15:04 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

You have probably read the news already!
https://www.blender.org/press/epic-games-supports-blender-foundation-with-1-2-million-epic-megagrant/

Blender is in a transition phase - with more professional demand from
users we also need to improve the quality of our projects on
blender.org. Not only to support more full-time developers, but also
(especially) to improve access to our project for everyone - for
volunteers and professional developers alike.

That means better tech docs, onboarding, reviews, coordination,
communication, triaging, developer support, code standards, roadmaps,
tasks, planning, work with active users...  just anything that will help
everyone to function more pleasantly to contribute to Blender's source
code or to come on board as contributor. We've often had complaints
about not being accessible enough. Time to work on this.

Nathan Letwory started this discussion already with the thread
"Understanding the dev process". A lot of good feedback has been offered
already. Let's keep doing that the coming months.

I am working on a more complete Development Fund report and blog post on
code.blender.org, also to talk about additional grants for developers
and job openings. Obviously the dev fund is now big enough to also
support more dedicated development targets - such as Cycles, VSE,
Sculpt/Paint, modeling, particles, 'everything nodes', etc.

Laters,

-Ton-