[Bf-committers] BF coordination meeting notes - 19.07.12

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:42:07 CEST 2019

Hi all,
These are the notes of the meeting we had today. This is the second
meeting we had now, and we should have one more at least before we
settle in a regular schedule.

Participants: Brecht Van Lommel, Dalai Felinto, Nathan Letwory
July 12th, 2019

Blender Development Process
=======================
Nathan presented his initial proposal on how we can use a stabilizing
branch side-by-side with master to organize our upcoming release
cycles:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q8oSuKo7Ft5DeH4UxjPyFoKvkLPKfhQs9hasZRATvbc/edit

In a nutshell, we have a new branch where the new features land in
(master), and an "upcoming release" (e.g., 2.81) that we keep stable.

* CON: Users tend to test a single branch, multi-branch may lead to
not have user attention on the stabilizing branch
* PRO: We can have users testing the usability aspects of a stable
branch in production, while a different group of users can be testing
the unstable branch to help reporting bugs.
* (among surely many other CON/PROs, we didn't discuss this much
further since it is still an initial proposal, and we need to hear
from more people).

Next step: Nathan will check with Campbell and Sergey (current release
cycle maintainers) on their take on it.

This is a long term project, it won't be done for the next few months
and until the development team agrees on how to best move forward.

2.80 Release Managing
==================
The coordination handover is aimed at the begin of the 2.81 release
cycle. Brecht is still on top of the 2.80 release. Dalai and Nathan
are available to off load tasks from him upon request though.

Bug Reports
==========
At the moment every bug report needs to be assigned to someone. That
leads to tons of bugs assigned to area maintainers with no filtering
in regard to when we expect them to be tackled.

Proposal:
* We clear the tags, to have a tag per module + the BF tag.
* We also add a tag per new release, to help schedule bugs to
releases, mostly for managing.
* Any bug (confirmed or not) needs to be tagged, but not necessarily assigned.
* Instead of workboards, we use priorities to organize the bugs within
a module, we need more granular and clear priorities though.

Current priorities (from low to high):
* Needs Triage by Developers (aka backlog)
* Waiting for Developers to Reproduce
* Needs Information from User
* Confirmed, Low
* Normal
* Confirmed, Medium
* Confirmed, High
* Unbreak Now!

The meeting was already one-hour long so we didn't get to propose
priorities labels. It can be done outside meetings with other
developers though (Dalai will work on that).

Next Meeting
* Monday July 15th at noon Amsterdam time.
* Roles and concrete plans on how we split the tasks among ourselves.
Brecht will go over the task list and see which of his current tasks
he would like to delegate.

Regards,
Dalai
--