[Bf-committers] Understanding the dev process

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 16:47:57 CEST 2019

Hi Nathan,

>From my point of view, I am pretty happy with what and how I do things in
order to work in my small area of Blender.

One thing I notice about myself, and I think to some extent the larger team
too, is that much of what we do is driven by who happens to get our
attention most recently -- a bug report, a comment in a forum thread, a
poke in the chat room. It is good to be responsive to things like this,
else we look like we're not listening to anyone. But I think it also leads
to a less-than-disciplined approach to what priority order to do things in.
It also can lead to larger but not urgent things to always get postponed
(Campbell said something similar). E.g. from my area: "Edge groups" would
be a good thing to have but requires a bunch of work all over Blender.

I think we all have a backlog of stuff we want to or need to do, but it is
not always written down for either ourselves or others to see. I wonder if
there's a better way to record the whole backlog in a way that is more
comprehensible than "search for all the open tasks on phab", and more of a
group decision on how to prioritize what to do next.