[Bf-committers] Google Draco compression and Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:50:37 CET 2019

Hi Jamieson,

If a lot of GLTF exporters/importers will support this then I think the
Blender one should as well. We'd be happy to accept a patch that integrates
this into Blender's build system, so the GLTF addon can then use it.

For integrating the Draco library, there are two options. If this is going
to be a library that Linux distributions package and that has a stable API,
we would add typically leave it as an external library outside the Blender
source code. I can't find existing Linux packages for it though, and it's
not clear to me if you plan to maintain it that way?

The other simpler option is adding the source code in the extern/ folder,
with some folders stripped out to keep the size small. Then it can be
compiled as part of Blender itself. Probably that's the more practical
solution currently.

Regards,
Brecht.