[Bf-committers] Blender developer meeting notes - 2019.12.09

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 19:54:03 CET 2019

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is
Monday, 16 December 10:00 CEST / 9:00 UTC, in #blender-coders on

For the complete report read it on:

* Blender 2.81a is out.
* Dalai Felinto moved to Amsterdam to work fulltime in Blender.

Blender 2.82
* bcon2 this week (12/12).
* Cycles will get custom AOVs and light groups in time.
* UDIM depends on Lukas Stockner availability (for current reported issues,
and upcoming reports after the merge.
* Draw manager overlay refactor is finished.
* Grease Pencil refactor won't be in 2.82. But the idea is to break things
at once only. So any disruptive bugfix is currently addressed in their
working branch (greasepencil-refactor).
* Weld modifier needs a final review, may make in time for bcon2 (no patch
* Sergey Sharybin will review mantaflow and USD patch/design this week.
* Animation team roadmap lacks a high priority task in their page, besides
T71238. Not clear if that means no big features for 2.82. Dalai Felinto
will check with Sybren Stüvel.
* LANPR needs review on its drawing part, and won't likely be in time for
bcon2 either.
* Virtual Reality (first milestone) won't be finished in time for bcon2.
* Hans Goudey may have another bevel patch by bcon2, but he cannot
guarantee it.

* Nathan Letwory is working on documentation for onboarding [1] and to
improve the release process [2] (based on the 2.81 release). Feedback is
welcome. The initial feedback in the meeting was that although onboarding
is important, review process should take precedence over that since getting
new developers started is not our bottleneck.

* Dalai Felinto is working on the details for the "Tracker Curfew"
initiative. Basically the idea, based on Ton Roosendaal's proposal is to
sanitize our bug tracker situation. Ultimately we will have most of the
hired developers to help handling (closing / moving to a TODO list /
fixing?) the 2k or so open bugs we have, while dedicated triagers can be
sure the new stream of bugs dont add up to that.

[2] https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:JesterKing/Drafts/FutureOfReleases

Best regards,

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list