[Bf-committers] File VERSION -> MINVERSION

Holger Machens homac at strace.org
Sun Dec 1 01:02:35 CET 2019

Hi,

thank you for your answer, Sergey Sharybin.

To summarize:

    MINVERSION refers to the minimum Blender version required to
    read that particular file.

I thought about it and then I noticed the following:

Given the case I described before: Different struct layout in version
2.80 and 2.81. How does Blender in version 2.80 deal with the changed
struct layout in a file of version 2.81?

I could think of three options:

    a) Future changes for 2.81 have already been considered in 2.80 and
       conversion code exists in blenloader/intern/versioning_2_81.c in
       blender 2.80. (probably not)

    b) Blender 2.80 did not use those structs or attributes which
       got moved in position, even though those already existed in
       that version.

    c) Those structs are used in memory only and get never stored in a
       file, even though their type is declared in block DNA1.

This question is interesting, because (b) and (c) would also mean, that
(theoretically) data of a .blend file of v2.80 can also be stored in DNA
structs of v2.81 without conversion  and  without loss of information.
Thus, I could always use a pointer on struct of v2.81 and point it on
data of v2.80 and get the same (old) information. Is that correct?

This would have some implications I would like to clarify in my
documentation. That's why I try to get this right.

Kind regards
  Holger Machens