[Bf-committers] Docker build system for Blender

Jordan Matelsky j6k4m8 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 21:38:01 CEST 2019

I poked around the developers forums etc and couldn't find much on building
Blender inside a Docker container. (Plenty of other uses of Docker around
the dev.blender pages, though! So perhaps I just missed something?)

I could imagine a known-successful build configuration being helpful for
folks who are working on multiple branches simultaneously, or are just
getting started and want to get a build running as quickly as possible. Is
there a reason why this is currently not supported out of the box?
Otherwise I'd be interested to contribute a container image that optionally
allows a user to mount their codebase, or defaults to a fresh one from git.
I imagine the right place for one to live would be in the documentation
itself, rather than in the official repository.