[Bf-committers] BF coordination meeting notes - 2019.08.12

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Tue Aug 13 14:59:07 CEST 2019

On 12-08-19 13:59, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> The idea would be to have a flow like this for example. I think it
> would help to get better quality reports, or to help users find
> solutions themselves in some cases.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gxuBv6aeZjKgzMQmGYdaERKbd7VnllSa9s_ejl2hMGo/edit#bookmark=id.83ndneimph3m
>
> I'm not sure what kind of priority this should have as far as
> improvement development infrastructure goes. It just seems to me that
> tweaking the text in the submission form is at a point of diminishing
> returns.

One thing that I see more and more on Github bug report templates are
checkboxes where reporters declare that they have done a certain thing.
For example, instead of us telling them "please install the latest
drivers", there would be a checkbox that says "[ ] I have installed the
latest drivers", and users have to fill it in with a [*]. This makes it
visually easier for us to see what has (not) been done (assuming honesty
of the reporter), and I also quite like the reverse psychology. It's my
expectation that it's easier to discard a request ("please install...")
than it is to lie on a form ("I have installed...").

Another difference between the Github and Phabricator forms is that on
the former HTML comments are not part of the rendered output. This
allows them to have instructions in the form that are not seen any more
once the form has been submitted (but still there when editing). This
would cut down on the times we see things like "Based on the default
startup or an attached .blend file (as simple as possible)" in the reports.

Of course a more complete multi-step wizard would be better, but maybe
the above can already improve the quality of the reports.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://stuvelfoto.nl/
https://stuvel.eu/