[Bf-committers] Release cycle idea

Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory nathan at blender.org
Mon Aug 12 00:34:37 CEST 2019

Hi,

I've typed my thoughts on the release cycle over at

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:JesterKing/ReleaseCycleNotes

(also contains a pretty picture) but here in short the high-lights:

* if we go for a release just with Blender Conference (24th of October)
* we could do a three week stabilizing:
  RC dates could be
  - 30th September (cut-off date - 2.81 stabilizing branch created, RC1)
  - 7th (RC2), 14th (RC3), 21th (RC4) October
  - After RC4 there should be no show-stoppers, meaning the RC4
    could be rereleased as official 2.81 (proper tagging in repos)
* blender:release-target custom field for Maniphests in use during
   week 33
* weeks 33-39 (2019.08.12-2019.09.29) time to work on new stuff
   and improving existing

After 2.81 (Blender Conference) we could settle into 3-month cycle
that would allow for targetting releases around SIGGRAPH and
Blender Conference.

Nothing has been set in stone regarding dates, but this week I want
to implement at least the basic custom field for maniphests. There
should be no changes to how we all type code in the coming weeks.

Have a good week!

/Nathan