[Bf-committers] Blender Developers Meeting Notes - 2019-08-05
jesterking at letwory.net
Mon Aug 5 23:27:57 CEST 2019
Developer meeting 5 August, 2019.
* SIGGRAPH 2019 was a huge success, everyone wants to help
out (dev fund) and start using Blender
* Blender 2.80 was the last release where we officially
support 32 bit Windows and Linux builds. For Blender 2.81
there will be only 64 bit builds.
New Features and Changes
* Alembic support for import and export of custom
loop normals. (Sybren Stüvel)
* Video export support for the Opus audio codec
and WebM container format. (Sybren Stüvel)
* Sculpt and paint brushes can now use built-in falloff
functions rather than a custom curve, for better
quality results for brushes like grab. (Pablo Dobarro)
* Cycles: faster multithreaded compilation of many
shaders. (Lukas Stockner)
* Materials: new operator for removing unused material
slots. (Lukas Stockner)
* Text editor:
- Layout reorganization of sidebar and menus.
(William Reynish, Peter Fog)
- New operator to toggle comment and uncomment,
shortcut Ctrl /. (Campbell Barton)
* Animation: new Copy As New Driver context menu option
to streamline creating drivers that copy the value of
a different property. (Alexander Gavrilov)
* Preferences: new option for viewport rotation sensitivity,
and better behavior for high DPI screens. (Campbell Barton)
* NVIDIA contributed an Optix backend for Cycles, to take
advantage of hardware-accelerated ray tracing in RTX cards.
The next step is for Cycles developers to review the code.
- the review ticket was being used for tech support (how to git and
please refrain from doing so in the future)
* Features from sculpt branch are being submitted and reviewed one by one
* Sequencer prefetching patch is updated
* There is a new developer CMake configuration, which enables options
for faster builds, error checks and tests. We recommended developers to
* Windows builds now have "Just My Code" stepping by default in debug
This is for C++ code (Ray Molenkamp)
* As a reminder a slight change in release stabilizing branch
is in the planning for 2.81. This is still quite a few weeks out.
A proposal will be submitted in the coming few weeks for that. (Nathan
* Clément https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Hypersomniac/Foundation/2019
* Jeroen https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Jbakker/reports/2019
* Sebastian https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Zeddb#Jul_29_-_Aug_02
Next meeting will be on 2019-08-12, 09:00 UTC.
More information about the Bf-committers