[Bf-committers] End of official 32 bit support

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 11:01:07 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Blender 2.80 was the last release where we officially support 32 bit
Windows and Linux builds. For Blender 2.81 there will be only 64 bit
builds.

We will continue to support it to the level that we do for example
ARM. That is we keep the Blender code working independent of the
processor architecture, particularly for Linux packages. But we don't
actively test them or release our own builds.

Computers that meet the minimum graphics card requirements for 2.80
practically always have a CPU with 64 bit support as well. That means
the effective number of 32 bit users is very small by now.

The associated task on developer.blender.org is here:
https://developer.blender.org/T67184

Thanks,
Brecht.