[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8x - support and core development goals

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 17:10:56 CEST 2019

There's been a lot of complaining about edit mode performance in 2.8, and
some
amount of complaints (but not as much) about edit mode memory footprint.
Some of the complaints seem specifically about what happens with modifiers,
especially subdivision, but some seem to feel it is not just limited to
that.

I wonder if it should be a goal to profile and then come up with and
implement ideas
for edit mode performance improvements?  There are an awful lot of
algorithms
inside the edit tools and modifiers that go over every element (vertex,
edge, face)
of a mesh, often multiple times. E.g., looking for selected elements. I
have a
suspicion that that might be some of the problem. Or maybe I'm completely
wrong
and the whole problem is incrementally updating the display code with only
those
things that have been changed by the edit operation that just happened.

I might be willing to work on this kind of investigation instead of the
Boolean
stuff; though it might make more sense for a full-time developer...