[Bf-committers] Potentially moving from IRC to Blender.Chat

Simon Ge simonblend at outlook.de
Tue Apr 30 22:17:21 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'd personally stick to IRC.
Blender.chat:
- is based on rocket.chat I guess.
- is wasting space when not logged in (It can be changed to "condensed mode" but only when logged in it apears)
- is slow: [1]
- is big: 4.3 MB for a simple chat app [2]
- is increasing the barrier to entry. Previously you could just use the freenode web service to chat. Now you need to register for an account
- has no mobile app for my phone version
- rocket.chat has 1.9k open issues on github, while IRC is battle-tested

Also consider that there are people with slow phones/slow connections.
People who want better UI can always use riot.im, irccloud or any similar service.
KDE had a similar discussion about the pro and cons of moving to rocket.chat [3]

Cheers
Simon

[1] https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?hl=de&url=https%3A%2F%2Fblender.chat%2Fchannel%2Fblender-coders&tab=mobile
[2] https://tools.pingdom.com/#5a9be5aa9fc00000