[Bf-committers] BMOPs and multiple object editing

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:46:43 CEST 2018

Hi,

So far we were able to keep any multiple-object editing change away from
the bmesh operators. However for "select similar" (D3674) I would like to
check on which design to pursuit.

We are taking into account all the selected elements of all the objects in
edit mode. So in a way, a bmesh can't be processed entirely isolated from
the rest. A few options:

(A) Loop over all the objects in similar_vert_select_exec, populate an
array with all the selected data (normals, directions, ...), pass this list
to the BMOPs (as void *).

(B) Handle all the loops as part of BMOPs, not passing any particular bmesh
to it, but instead an array of all the bmeshes to interact among themselves.

(C) Move the entire "select similar" from bmo_similar to editmesh_*.

(D) Take only the active object as reference to what to select from, pass
the active object's BMesh to all the other objects, to iterate over it.

I find (A) quite sensible, and it is what I started to do in the
forementioned patch.

Thanks,
Dalai
--