[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-10-29 committers
Brecht Van Lommel
brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:57:18 CET 2018
Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday,
5 November 10:00 CEST (8:00 UTC).
1) Blender 2.8
Beta and roadmap are explained here:
* EEVEE got much improved soft shadows.
* Multi-object editing now works for lattices.
* Rigify addon was ported to 2.8.
* Cycles gained Cryptomatte support:
* Grease Pencil:
** New time offset modifier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adex9keY2i4
** Grease Pencil layers can be filtered by view layer for compositing.
** Instance modifier was renamed to array modifier.
2) Other Projects
* Mantaflow was submitted for code review. Likely too late for 2.80, but
review should start as soon as possible so it can be ready for 2.81:
* Alexander Gavrilov has some unreviewed animation patches. Developers
familiar with the area, please help reviewing:
3) Blender Conference
Blender 2.8 development presentations:
There was an informal Blender developers meeting. Some topics discussed:
* Going back to 3-4 months release schedule after 2.80 was generally
considered a good idea. Longer releases are difficult to organize, and
difficult for external contributors to participate in.
* How to handle bugfix releases. Idea was that if we have frequent releases
again and keep master quite stable, we can do a/b/c releases with only a
handful critical bugfixes. This should make it much faster to do such
releases, compared to trying to include hundreds of fixes.
* Developer wiki migration is still problematic:
** Addon docs are missing with no decision on keeping them in the wiki or
moving them elsewhere. As a result addon links in the 2.79 release are
broken, we should fix this.
** Code architecture and 2.8 code docs are still on the old wiki, we need
to migrate the relevant ones.
** Developer onboarding docs could be improved, Inês looks into it.
More information about the Bf-committers