[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-10-22

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:37:34 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018, 2:23 AM Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We've had this discussion before, and I still did not see the explanation
> from OCIO looks about looks being intended for this. The documentation
> seems to say something else.

You don't see it, yet it has been discussed with the lead developers and
many other OCIO folks ad nauseum.

This is a resolved point, and the documentation confirms the position.

> A “look” is a named color transform, intended to modify the look of an
image in a “creative” manner (as opposed to a colorspace definition which
tends to be technically/mathematically defined). An OCIO look typically
exists as a flexible addendum to a defined viewing transform.

But even besides that, it's just poor user interface design to use the Look
> setting for both artistic looks and saving to an intermediate file format.

That's Blender's design problem, not the design of the configuration. That
is something that needs to be redesigned within Blender.

I don't disagree, but that is the poor way that Blender integrates colour
management.

And when switching between Default and Filmic it's not good for None to
> have a a different purpose, settings should generally be orthogonal.

I don't believe this is asserted in OCIO. I can think of a number of
situations where this wouldn't be the case.

With that said, the Apple P3 branch works fine like this, and the various
contrasts behave identically under each display type.