[Bf-committers] Curious about 'SetThreadGroupAffinity()'

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon May 28 13:40:42 CEST 2018

Hi,

We use SetThreadGroupAffinity() for systems with more than 64 cores,
without that it doesn't use all the cores.

SetThreadAffinityMask() is a hint to the operating system scheduler, which
can improve performance by some % due to fewer context switches or better
memory location for example. If you have just a single process with a
single thread pool with the same amount of threads and cores a hint can
help.

But if you have multiple processes, multiple thread pools, external
renderers doing their own threading, ... then the optimal scheduling is not
so obvious and giving the wrong hints can cause higher priority tasks to be
slowed. Adding affinity may still help, but it would need detailed
benchmarking, and even then it's a bit risky because it might be worse in
some corner cases we didn't predict. Generally the operating system
scheduler does a good job, and these schedulers have gotten better in newer
operating systems too.

Regards,
Brecht.