[Bf-committers] 2.7x to 2.8x Migration

Chad Fraleigh chadf at triularity.org
Wed May 2 23:19:38 CEST 2018

While it might be the best practical solution (given the current
environment), I wouldn't consider it ideal. An "ideal solution" might be
something along the lines of it detecting a potentially incompatible old
.blend file, notifying the user, and automatically converting it (via a
bundled external program, if need be). Something like this, if done right,
could conceivably also convert very old files (like 2.4x) without forcing
users to go through great efforts to use older models in modern blender
versions. When someone wants to open an old version of a word doc, they
generally aren't expected to install the old version of word, just so they
can convert their document to something the new version of word can use.

But again, ideal may not be in practical reach.

At the very least, it should warn users when it loads a .blend file that
*might* have data loss due to dropped data structures (that aren't
perfectly auto migrated), so that novice-to-immediate users don't stare at
pitch black objects and wonder why the "cool looking model" file they just
download doesn't look like the preview image.