[Bf-committers] GSoC Application Draft - Improved Solidify Modifier

Philip Holzmann ga87cel at mytum.de
Fri Mar 23 14:55:16 CET 2018

I have now decided not to submit this proposal.
I've read a bunch of papers on the subject, but I could not find an
algorithm that was satisfactory.

Though some robust solutions exist with voxel-based approaches (I wanted
to do a mesh-surface based one), all of the mesh based ones seem to to
have multiple drawbacks.
Also, the description of some algorithms was so vague that I could not
understand them.

I would have chosen an algorithm which resolves intersections after
offsetting, but after playing around a little with the bmesh
intersections, I realized that it fails even in very simple cases.
And since I don't think I will be able to fix the intersection code, I
have decided that I won't be able to produce a robust code for the
solidify modifier.