[Bf-committers] [Proposal] summer of code

amar radamar at protonmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:06:14 CET 2018

Hi,
I am a student participating in summer of code, i want to bring intuitive human-to-computer interface to games.

Synopsis:
In particular, i think that speech-recognition technology has made great progress and is ready to be integrated into games because speech is 1) higher bandwidth connection than a keyboard and 2) easier to use than a mouse. I propose to make speech-recognition easier to incorporate into games by integrating the greatest open source speech-to-text engine with blender. However, i came to the conclusion that in order to do that, two things will need to be done first 1) daemonization of cmu sphinx speech-to-text engine and 2) creation of an interface or API between the daemon and applications requesting transcription i.e the blender game. Because 1) speech-recognition is getting better all the time, so we want to use the better model as soon as it is available, and this feature would allow that. 2) it provides a general solution which can work for applications besides blender and blender games. After that is done, blender can be extended to work with the API and the daemon easily.

Here is my proposal in full: https://github.com/radamar/eve/blob/master/README.md

Thanks for your consideration,
amar