[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-03-12

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:44:18 CET 2018

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 17 UTC (18 CET) meeting in irc.freenode.net
#blendercoders. Reminder: meetings are on Mondays, next meeting is 19th
March, 09 UTC (10 CET).

Note: Amsterdam daylight saving time starts on March 25th. The meeting will
then at 18 CEST (and 10 CEST in the next Monday).

1) Blender 2.79 'b' release

Enough regressions (sequencer and motion tracker) sneaked in so we will do
a 2.79b release. We will wait another week for regression reports to come.
Around mid next week we hopefully tackle this once and for all.

2) Blender 2.8 (and code quest!)

* Code quest confirmed participants: Bastien Montagne, Brecht Van Lommel,
Campbell Barton, Clément Foucault, Dalai Felinto, Jeroen Bakker, Joshua
Leung, Pablo Vazquez, Sergey Sharybin, Sybren Stüvel, Ton Roosendaal,
William Reynish. Part time participants: Julian Eisel, and some unconfirmed.

*  We have space in the code quest office for people to work with us for
shorter periods (on 2.8). interested developers can contact ton at blender.org.

* EEVEE "lazy shader compilation" is now in 2.8. A fallback shader is used
for all the scene objects while the un-cached shaders are compiled in the
background. Clément Foucault is working on pending

* Campbell Barton shares an early video of Multi-Object editing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RidhZY_L3k - more details on
https://developer.blender.org/D3101 .

3) Google Summer of Code

* We still need more mentors. However Ton Roosendaal's suggestion is to
invite mentors only once we get good applications that are related to
active development. Deadline for mentors to join is still far away anyways.
Though the moment we get slots (April 10th) we then get a week to assign
them.

5) Onboarding - devtalk

* https://devtalk.blender.org should be officially announced as soon as
it's ready. We need this signed off proving that all the login issues were
handled. Dalai Felinto will check with Brecht Van Lommel and Sybren Stüvel
to see where we stand. So we can make it public and add it on blender.org
and social media, and set some onboarding practises.

* If things go well we can try to use the platform for Code Quest
communication too.

4) Weekly Reports

* Bastien Montagne:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Foundation/2018#Week_234_-_03.2F03_to_03.2F09