[Bf-committers] Probe Message Privacy Issue

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 00:36:50 CET 2018

Hello,

I just got a message from the list manager with a subject of "Bf-committers
mailing list probe message"

I certainly understand the process and reason for the message. However, the
contents *exposes* the email addresses of all the 50 members listed to each
other.  Yes, the message that came to me lists my own email address
alongside 49 others.

Not that I care that anyone here knows my email address. But normally
organizations don't publish lists of addresses like this. It could be used
for spam, or could be used to make an unofficial list server, as examples.

As for the message itself, it appears that these indicate bounces from the
mail servers of Google bouncing messages from Yahoo because of an issue
with Yahoo's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. It looks like the message includes 50
address as a maximum number as it appears to be an alphabetically-sorted
list of gmail addresses from a-j.

Not a big issue, but thought you should know.

Cheers, Harley