[Bf-committers] Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Simon Ge simonblend at outlook.de
Tue Jun 5 12:50:02 CEST 2018

It would be more useful to port Blender to Vulkan instead, because we can run Vulkan on Metal via https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK

- Simon

________________________________
Von: Bf-committers <bf-committers-bounces at blender.org> im Auftrag von Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 11:01
An: bf-blender developers
Betreff: Re: [Bf-committers] Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL

Hi,

I'm afraid a Metal port is going to be more than a couple of months... but the benefit of open source has always been that you get surprising ports to happen!

My suggestion: let's wait a bit how the market responds and study on solutions. We're not alone in this.

My opinion: MacOS has not been a good choice for 3D artists for at least 5 years already. Artists didn't have choice of GPUs. Support for CUDA, OpenGL and OpenCL was always behind. We never really had Cycles GPU render perform good on a Mac system either.

Looks like Apple is heading in a different direction with their OS. Probably merging it with iOS...

Meanwhile we can keep supporting it, but this support will then be for a dying platform - like back then for SGI Irix, Sun Solaris and BeOS.

Laters,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org<http://www.blender.org>
Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands