[Bf-committers] devtalk.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 08:00:52 CEST 2018

The forum was started with the understanding it would be a low traffic
site focusing on development.
I think we should keep this general goal, even if we have some areas
where users are invited to give feedback.

Since the code-quest section was added the front page was showing many
posts which are closer to feature-request threads on Blenderartists.

I've set the code-quest section not to show on the front page so it
doesn't distract too much from developers posts.

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 11:30 PM, Ray Molenkamp <ray at lazydodo.com> wrote:
> I think this is a case of what was envisioned and what is actually
> happening on devtalk currently being a tiny bit out of whack.
>
> Devs getting feedback on specific topics is great! a wall of
> 'Hey devs, lets vote! left or right mouse button!',  'when is
> feature X finially finished?' and 'lets change blenders version
> number!' not quite as much.
>
> --Ray
>

> On 6/1/2018 2:29 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
>> I think it can work if we make it so developers start topics to request
>> feedback on features they are working on. For example one topic for
>> shortcut key changes, one for collections, etc. Then we can strictly
>> moderate it, close topics when a project is done and keep the number of
>> topics under control to avoid overpowering the other posts.
>>
>> If we let everyone make topics about whatever it's always going to be
>> difficult to manage, regardless if we do it on devtalk or another forum.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Ray Molenkamp <ray at lazydodo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> As I understood devtalk was setup as a dev 2 dev support site, I'm kinda
>>> confused we invited end users to 'join the conversation' on it now, as
>>> they are putting feature requests all over the place, last night the
>>> blender development forum was 80+% feature requests on the first page.
>>> kinda ruining the signal to noise ratio. Since then someone came by and
>>> moved them all to the code-quest section. Also a banner has been put up
>>> mentioning the site is not for feature requests. but still, users do what
>>> user do...
>>>
>>> While I do see value in gathering user-feedback, it's not very hard to
>>> imagine that the line between feedback and feature requests is arbitrary
>>> at the best of times.
>>>
>>> Especially with all the changes currently in 2.8, it's also easy to see
>>> ahead of time that the discussion would be 'heated' at times, devtalk
>>> pretty much coasted by with little to no moderation.
>>>
>>> Given the response so far, it's clear users are screaming for an outlet
>>> to share their ideas/opinions/and feature requests.
>>>
>>> The question is, was devtalk really the best venue for this experiment?
>>> couldn't we just have spun up another discourse instance?
>>>
>>> --Ray

- Campbell