[Bf-committers] Library updates for Blender 2.8

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:43:54 CEST 2018

Hi all,

It's been a while since we updated libraries, and with the upgrade to
Visual Studio 2017 this has now become easier on Windows as well. Since the
platform maintainers have time now to do updates, let's try to get this in
motion.

Some of the latest library versions need C++11, I also propose we require
C++11 in master. This mostly involves removing the WITH_CXX1 option and
code cleanups for STL data types compatibility.

For libraries, these are the ones I know of. Let us know if any other
library updates are needed.

* OSL, LLVM, OIIO: so we no longer need a really old LLVM version.
https://developer.blender.org/D3398
https://developer.blender.org/D2915

* OpenVDB 5.1.0: so we can read files written by other applications that
have OpenVDB 5.x.

* Python 3.7.0 (or should we wait until there is a 3.7.1 or so with
bugfixes?)

* OpenSubdiv: this will need to include a number of Sergey's bugfixes, the
revision needed is not known (or doesn't exist) yet.

Thanks,
Brecht.