[Bf-committers] GSoC 2018 BVH8

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Jan 29 18:58:40 CET 2018

Hi Anton,

We're planning to move to Embree, so improving our existing BVH builder and
traversal is not the best use of time.
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2017-November/048936.html

However a lot of work is still needed to get the Embree integration stable,
and I imagine whatever the state will be this summer, there will be a lot
room for improvement. Finding optimizations in the integration, memory
usage reductions, etc. Some of the bigger topics would be:
* Use Embree for building the GPU BVH, so we can remove our own builder.
* For subdivision surfaces, implement more memory efficient grid primitive
to intersect directly.
* Optimizations for tracing short rays on a single object for subsurface
scattering, bevel, curvature.

Stefan, do you have an idea about which tasks will be open still this
summer?

Regards,
Brecht.