[Bf-committers] GSoC 2018 - deadline for orgs January 23

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jan 10 16:14:30 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

It's time of the year again. Looks like GSoC starts earlier each year.
We just have two more weeks to finish the application!

I've done all the forms already. I will also check with the team here in the studio to make a fun "onboarding" video, explaining where to find everything and how to get involved.

What needs to be done in the next weeks is:
- get a list of mentor candidates (people who review proposals). Contact me!
- present an ideas page

To start, I copied most of the ideas over from last year:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2018/Ideas

Please check and update! Remember, it's not a feature request listing, it should be projects supported by the module teams, with mentors candidates.

I also want to propose to improve the GSoC experience in some ways:

- Active recruitment locally on you university or your city - especially studios/companies who use Blender can be co-mentoring students as well. Get your own well paid intern!
- Actively recruiting among students who already work with Blender (code).
- Be more strict to student applicants. They should really bring in experience and knowledge.
- GSoC is not an introduction to become a developer!
- But we should also keep proposed projects simple and feasible. And it has to fit 2.8.
- Get students to work on projects a mentor is also working on. That way mentorship goes more natural.

Laters,

-Ton-