[Bf-committers] GSoC 2018 student requirements

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Feb 17 15:37:06 CET 2018

Hi,

I suggested to actively recruit among students who are already familiar with Blender (code).
New developers are always welcome too, certainly when they bring in their own expertise.

Other orgs make this very clear to students nowadays. A student coming in with "please guide me, I don't know where to start" is better off first participating as a volunteer for a while.

A nice example:
https://github.com/opencv/opencv/wiki/GSoC_2018

For those who don't read long texts, a nice quote:

Please only propose projects that you already know how to do.
It is impossible for a mentor to train you in how to do the task while helping you do it. This always results in failure.
Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands