[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 git

Paul Melis paul.melis at surfsara.nl
Thu Dec 20 10:26:35 CET 2018

Hi,

I'd like to build 2.8 here locally, as I can't use the daily builds
(glibc is too old on our cluster system and won't be updated soon).
I build 2.7 regularly, so that's not an issue for me, but I'm having
trouble doing a correct checkout from git of the various 2.8 stuff.
The instructions on https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Tools/Git are not
fully portable to 2.8, so any help is appreciated.

As a first step I clone the repo (but only the 2.8 branch):

git clone --single-branch --branch blender2.8
git://git.blender.org/blender.git blender28-git

Next comes the first hurdle, the submodules:

# Works
git submodule update --init --recursive

# git submodule foreach --recursive git checkout blender2.8
git checkout blender2.8
Entering 'release/datafiles/locale'
error: pathspec 'blender2.8' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Stopping at 'release/datafiles/locale'; script returned non-zero status.

So looking at .gitmodules it seems not all submodules use a branch2.8
branch. Should I replace the foreach with a manual set of checkouts of
the submodules with the correct branches? And I guess with the submodule
pull commands that would need the same? And finally, for keeping things
up-to-date over time, it would need another per-submodule command?

Thanks,
Paul

--

Paul Melis
| Visualization group leader & developer | SURFsara |