[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-12-03
Brecht Van Lommel
brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:19:57 CET 2018
Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday,
17 December 10:00 CET / 9:00 UTC.
1) New Features and Changes
This week was mostly about bug triaging and fixing. By my estimate about
120 bugs were fixed this week.
* Cycles GPU rendering now has support for NVIDIA Turing cards (RTX 20xx
and similar). Note this is using CUDA still, not the raytracing hardware
units at this point.
* Cycles OpenCL rendering on macOS is no longer supported:
* Animated values that have been modified but not keyframed now get an
orange button color.
* Render metadata now has an option to include the hostname, useful for
* Shader node editor now includes materials settings panels, so all
material work can be done in one editor.
* Wireframe drawing got many optimizations, both for faster drawing of
heavy scenes and when using low end hardware.
* Grease Pencil has a new arc primitive tool.
2) Merging Branches
The proposal is to do the following:
* Rename master to blender2.7 branch, blender2.8 to master.
* All git history is kept, since it is valuable even if it makes bisect
* "BF Blender 2.8" bugs will be moved to "BF Blender", to have a single
tracker. These are already quite mixed up anyway.
* We keep supporting blender2.7 to more or less the same (minimum) level as
we do master now, to ensure there is a production-ready Blender version
* The blender2.8 branch could be deleted and blocked from being recreated
on the git server? To avoid users and developers using the wrong branch by
If any developers disagree with this, let's discuss it. Otherwise, we'll do
the merge in the coming week or two.
3) Other Projects
The developer wiki has a new theme:
Sebastian Parborg started this week, helping with bug triaging and fixing.
5) Weekly Reports
More information about the Bf-committers