[Bf-committers] Metal GPU support

Stuart Carnie stuart.carnie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:10:12 CET 2018

Ray:

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like there is an interest in supporting
multiple back-ends, which is exciting.

With regards to the cleanup, it sounds like the current goal is to replace
any GL calls with GPU_* calls outside the GPU folders. I'd be happy to
contribute to that cleanup.

Is the desire to support multiple back ends natively, with their own set of
shaders or to take an approach similar to RA or bgfx (
https://bkaradzic.github.io/bgfx/overview.html) and use a unified shader
model. The former is simpler for consumers of the GPU_* APIs, as they only
need to provide a single set of shaders, but it does mean that offline
compilation and other optimizations may be limited.

I will also take a look at the thread you shared.

Cheers,

*Stuart Carnie*