[Bf-committers] Building Blender

John Emmas john at creativepost.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 11:37:08 CEST 2018

Hi there,

My name's John Emmas and for about 10 years  I've been a contributor to
Harrison's 'Mixbus' (open-source DAW).  In fact, back when it was Mac
only, it was me who ported it for use on Windows.

I recently came across Blender and whilst 3D isn't really my "thing"
(I'm really more of an audio guy) I'm just curious about how you guys
build it.  It looks like you use different compilers for each platform
(which would be my preferred choice - although that's increasingly
uncommon these days).  And whilst I successfully downloaded the git
sources this morning, I couldn't find any VC project files (or does
CMake generate them?)

Mostly I'm interested to see how you handle the GUI on each platform?
For Mixbus we use GTK+ on all 3 platforms - but GTK+ itself introduces a
huge range of other dependencies.  For Blender though, I could only find
a few 3rd-party dependencies (libvorbis / boost / tiff / libsndfile
etc).  It even looks like you use different GUI libraries for the
different platforms (or am I wrong about that?)

Like I said, it's just a fellow programmer's curiosity.!

John