[Bf-committers] View Layers and Collections (blog post)

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 11:43:10 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Ton Pablo and I put together a post explaining the collections in Blender 2.8:
https://code.blender.org/2017/09/view-layers-and-collections/

This is a document aimed at end users. Its goal is to solidify new
concepts (e.g., collections) and a new vocabulary (e.g., view layers).

For developers following Blender 2.8 code some things are not
literally as presented there. For instance, "conceptually" all objects
of a scene are in the master collection. However, not all objects are
directly in the master collection, but stored in a nested collection.

That said, there are also things that are presented there that need to
be implemented. As an example if you delete a collection now its
objects go away as well. But we probably want them to go to the master
collection. Or at we need at least "delete collection and objects /
delete collection only" options.

Regards,
Dalai
--