[Bf-committers] make.bat make.exe name collision/confusion

Nicholas Rishel rishel.nick at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 22:10:36 CEST 2017

The current Building Blender on Windows
<https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows> wiki
page recommends using the convenience batch file "make" to build Blender.
When running make from Git Bash (and I suspect other versions of bash for
Windows) the commands as presented will default to make.exe if it's in the
PATH and appear to run as expected. This is likely to cause confusion for
new developers reviewing this document.

The problem above is probably best solved in the wiki with a quick edit;
the reason I'm mailing here is to see if there is a particular reason the
file uses the name "make" other than it's similarity in function to
makefiles. I suspect it's a convenience for other scripts which usually
rely on make but no particular reason is given in the git logs.

If there isn't a strong reason to keep the name as is it would reduce
confusion if make.bat were renamed to make_vs.bat or similar so that bash
on Windows doesn't appear to be running it while actually running bash.exe.