[Bf-committers] Wiki acct request to help w/ 2.8 documentation

spock theGray blink.ornitier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:51:22 CET 2017

Hi Dalai,

If you think the best way to start helping out in 2.8 is to move straight
into coding tasks already, then I'll go ahead and jump in :)

As far as documentation is concerned, the main thing that's helpful for new
features (in terms of developer efficiency) is solid requirements docs.
Admittedly, half the information I've struggled to understand personally
just from perusing our wiki or phabricator is probably somewhere out
there...  Just would be much easier if contributors had a single place we
can look (I thought this would be phabricator) to understand very quickly -
for feature A, this is how it "should" work, etc. Otherwise, part-timers
end up losing a lot of precious dev time doing requirements gathering /
searching through diff histories, etc...  and if there's a bug that impacts
another feature, etc. - it takes a lot of time to understand if it's
actually a bug or not if you have to search through the revision history to
see how it's supposed to work, etc.

Code design / data-model docs are always an after thought in every software
project I've seen haha - and I agree that it's not always helpful to have
very detailed code-design docs anyhow when the code is changing very fast
from one month to the next... but I'll do my best to at least start
documenting feature requirements for anything I work on moving forward in a
Google Doc I can share with you guys.  I only suggested the wiki b.c. I
thought it served the same purpose (assuming there are different
user-specific permissions for different docs, etc).  I just don't think
part-timers who are working on implementing features are going to be able
to produce great requirement docs for contributors at the same time.

On the topic of the possible tasks you mentioned though - I'd really like
to start out with a couple of them in parallel if that's OK - that way, if
I'm blocked for whatever reason on one feature, I can work on another until
I get feedback,etc.... plus that VSE one sounds interesting :D  For T53158,
I see you are the author so I'll reach out to you in IRC / email about any
questions... but for the RNA properties porting, is there a task on
phabricator I can look at  who can I reach out to about helping w/ the port
of the RNA properties?

Thanks again for your help, man - Blender is totally the most
wicked-awesome open-source project out there today and it's future is
looking really bright thanks to all the effort you guys & the community put
into it!

Cheers,
Danrae