[Bf-committers] experimental-build branch gone and back

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:13:54 CEST 2017

Hi,

Isn't `git push origin` pushes all branches (well, kind of depending on
local .gitconfig settings as well). But that's not what you want here.
Would have suggested `git push origin experimental-build` instead.

Also, you could have been brought the branch back to master state without
doing a re-branch. It isn't hard and if you don't want to deal with this
you should have left it to me. I would rather saw that fixed in a branch.
Surely, history would have been messy, but nobody cares about that in this
branch.

Now i need to go to every single buildbot slave and solve issues caused by
your rebranch,

So please. DO NOT RE-BRANCH unless it's absolutely needed. When in doubt,
poke me.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The "experimental-build" branch was a bit of a mess. I removed it in
> the server and pushed again as a clean copy of master. Just delete
> your local copy of it, and get a fresh one from the server.
>
> And let's remember to be strict to how we use this branch (me included).
> The steps still roughly are:
>
> ```
> $ git fetch origin
> $ git checkout my_local_branch
> $ git merge origin/master
> $ git checkout experimental-build
> $ git reset --hard origin/experimental-build
> $ git merge origin/master
> $ git merge my_local_branch --squash -m'Testing something relevant'
> $ git revert HEAD
> $ git push origin
> ```
>
> So basically:
> * Don't revert commits manually, use git revert.
> * Don't push before your changes are already reverted
>
> This didn't happen twice at least:
> * My own committing merging blender2.8 instead of master (sorry)
> * Somewhere in the past so that dcae89e002 was needed (or dcae89e002
> itself was a bad commit? I don't know and it shouldn't matter now).
>
> Thank you all, and sorry for the inconvenience,
> Dalai
> --
> blendernetwork.org/dalai-felinto
> www.dalaifelinto.com