[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2017-11-27

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 27 16:54:46 CET 2017

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 9 UTC (10 CET) meeting in
irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.
Reminder: meetings are on Mondays now, next meeting is 04 Dec, 17 UTC
(18 CET).

1) Blender 2.79 'a' release

- We shall do it sooner than later, the more we wait, the more painful
it will be.

- We agree again on sticking to safe or crucial fixes only, enhancements
may be allowed on exception basis provided they are *very* safe and
simple changes.

- Sergey and Bastien will go over commits in master (and addons),
prepare list for backport.

2) Blender 2.8 projects

- Clement Foucault did more SSS progress in Eevee this week, next one
will be on fixing irradiance grid light leaking. Motion blur is postponed.

- Joshua Leung asks for another round of review on the Grease Pencil branch

- Sergey Sharybin has been working on sanitizing flag and dynamic
overrides evaluation. Next week he’ll have to solve issues of the whole
scene evaluation when something is changing when having copy-on-write
enabled (that would imply adding more granular update tagging, which
then can be used for tools, and make tools to work!).

- Bastien Montagne hopes to merge static ID override in 2.8, otherwise
will do some side-track work again as last week (release, removing
OpenMP, ...).

- Weekly reports:
-- Clement Foucault:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Hypersomniac/Foundation/2017#Week_49:_13th_-_19th_November
-- Sergey Sharybin:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nazg-gul/Foundation/2017#Week_312:_20th_-_26th_November
-- Bastien Montagne:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Mont29/Foundation/2017#Week_219_-_11.2F18_to_11.2F24

3) Other projects

- Stefan Werner created a branch to finalize his Embree patch for Cycles
(an alternative ray-tracing kernel, see
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/history/cycles_embree/).

- Campbell Barton mailed proposal to bf-committers about the Blender
Development Forum Proposal:
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2017-November/048920.html

Thanks,
Bastien