[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 - priorities reconsideration proposal (revised)
dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 17:56:15 CET 2017
*[Note: The first version I sent was a bit unclear, so this is the one to
be considered instead.]*
While we are strong in our goal to release Blender 2.8 next year, we kept
adding project targets for it at a growing pace. Now it is the time to go
back and reconsider our priorities.
Blender 2.8 is not ready for production work yet. This makes the timing not
right for the development to drive enough interest from everyone. And it
doesn’t make sense to pursuit the new Blender without our users and
volunteers to push the design of core components further.
Therefore we are postponing as current 2.8 technical targets:
* Top bar
* Workspace specific keymaps, add-ons.
Manipulators and tools will still be around as an API for add-ons. So users
can still experiment with custom manipulators, facemaps and the tool system.
That also means we can focus our strength on wrapping up the following
* Finish workspaces (move object mode to workspace and polish interface)
* Collections, layers (user interface and groups)
* Eevee (feature polishing, performance)
* Drawing engines (Workbench engine)
* Modes (move settings to workspace, final overlay settings design)
* OpenGL offline render
* Multi-window (OpenGL non-shared resources manager)
* Static ID Override (replace proxies)
* Asset/preset browsing
* Templates (built-in support as with 2.79, none distributed by default).
* Grease pencil objects (draw engine, tools)
* Dependency graph improvements + copy on write
* Dynamic overrides
Once these projects are on track (or finished), the postponed targets will
come back. This also depends on how many people can work on the projects.
More information about the Bf-committers