[Bf-committers] Cold Start Developer Help Needed!

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 22:33:24 CET 2017

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:39 AM OllyFunkster <blender at funkster.org> wrote:

> There's also a bit of VSE discussion in a Slack channel run by Gleb
> Alexandrov, who has some sensible concerns and ideas about the VSE's
> colour handling, caching and the like. I haven't been able to dedicate
> the necessary time to get into developing in a while, but do dip my toe
> into the VSE code occasionally.

I think it was me you were referring to, and not the excellent Gleb A.

The concerns are pretty straightforwards:
1) Implement a half float reference space.
2) Implement proper colour transforms to and from reference.
3) Implement > 8 bit per pixel import for FFMPEG in conjunction with 1.

This essentially makes the VSE an offline / online system and potentially
takes it up to a 2017 implementation. Olly had a pretty darn clever test at
half float that seemed to work.

I've been ridiculously short on time, and also waiting on Eevee to settle
in so that any code can be reused here. I'm reasonably sure some of the API
work can be reused in the case of the display buffers.

Added you (Dominique) to the Slack. There hasn't been too much discussion
sadly due to lack of hands available for the VSE. I've tried to distill the
issues down into a wiki over at GitHub.
https://github.com/sobotka/Blender-NLE-NextGen/wiki/Blender-NLE-NextGen

With respect,
TJS