[Bf-committers] Alt+click to pan and 'Emulate 3 Button Mouse' woes

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Fri May 19 14:32:45 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Not sure if this would be better suited for the UI list, but this seemed like my best bet.

I'm finally finishing up my 2.78 keymap and would like to use Alt+LMB in a fashion similar to 2.67's "Emulate 3 Button Mouse" (E3BM).

So right off the bat, while E3BM does allow me to rotate the 3D view, it won't let me pan any 2D editors or button lists (footers). Even setting keymap items such as `view2d.scroll` to MMB seems to do absolutely nothing.

Moving on, I created a bunch of keymap items to work without E3BM. While it does mostly work now, I still noticed a few annoyances/ inconsistencies. Namely:

1) Panning on 2D views or button lists works, but only when starting the click outside of a button area - otherwise that event takes precedence. Even if annoying for my use-case, this does *kind* of makes sense – afterall, setting `view2d.pan` to just LMB (no alt) e.g. would be unusable otherwise. However, with alt as the required key this seems like an unnecesary precaution and just gets in the way. Ideally I would like to see this behaviour reverted to the 2.67 E3BM days, so unless I'm missing something I would like to request you consider this.

2) For some reason unbeknownst to me the Properties panel requires an alt+click release before panning starts. The events here using alt+LMB (same with just LMB, no alt keymap) look like:

- Mouse down: Nothing happens

- Drag: Nothing happens

- Mouse up: View pans, and will continue to pan until next click or escape.

This runs counter to both button lists and other 2D Views, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this; whether it can be changed or fixed, or if I just missed a setting somewhere.

Thanks,

Patrick