[Bf-committers] REF: GSoC Import/Export Support

Benson Chepkwony bchepkwny at att.net
Wed Mar 29 23:05:56 CEST 2017

Hi,
In reference to what Mitchell Stokes said,  I have not seen any Import
extensions either.

https://github.com/Kupoman/blendergltf
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF
This Two links that I was provide by Mike actually is a reference to the
Blendergltf Export. I have not seen any work that relates with the
Blendergltf Import.
There are no Import Extensions from these github links.

Thanks.

From,
Benson Chepkwony

On 3/29/2017 1:28 PM, Mitchell Stokes wrote:
> Benson,
>
> It looks like that part of the ideas page was copied from the previous year
> when blendergltf was still pretty new. Export is fairly well solved by
> blendergltf now, but there has been no work (that I know of) on import.
> Perhaps Mike or Bastien can comment on if this is still a good GSoC project.
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Benson Chepkwony <bchepkwny at att.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>> According to Mitchell Stokes;
>>
>> "As Mike mentioned, blendergltf (https://github.com/Kupoman/blendergltf),
>> handles glTF export from Blender, and it already exports everything in the
>> glTF 1.0 spec. There is certainly more work to do on glTF export (e.g.,
>> support more extensions, fix bugs, implement the glTF 2.0 draft spec, etc).
>> However, blendergltf is not currently under the Blender Foundation (nor any
>> org involved in GSoC), which makes glTF export a poor GSoC candidate.
>>
>> This leaves glTF import. I am not sure if there is enough work on import to
>> support a GSoC project, but I will try to answer your questions."
>>
>>          It seems gITF Import has not been completed and there are still
>> work to be done on it. However, I am not sure what parts of the gITF import
>> are missing or needs to be completed??
>>
>> The "Import/Export Support for gITF File Format" is among the 2017 List of
>> Ideas. Does this imply to the Import "File Format" only as describe on the
>> Ideas page?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> From,
>> Benson Chepkwony
>>

>> On 3/29/2017 11:11 AM, Mitchell Stokes wrote:
>>> Hello Benson,
>>>
>>> As Mike mentioned, blendergltf (https://github.com/Kupoman/blendergltf),
>>> handles glTF export from Blender, and it already exports everything in
>> the
>>> glTF 1.0 spec. There is certainly more work to do on glTF export (e.g.,
>>> support more extensions, fix bugs, implement the glTF 2.0 draft spec,
>> etc).
>>> However, blendergltf is not currently under the Blender Foundation (nor
>> any
>>> org involved in GSoC), which makes glTF export a poor GSoC candidate.
>>>
>>> This leaves glTF import. I am not sure if there is enough work on import
>>> support a GSoC project, but I will try to answer your questions.
>>>
>>> 1. You would start with easy things (meshes, nodes, cameras, materials,
>>> etc.) and eventually move on to skeletal meshes and animations.
>>>
>>> 2. A new addon would be created to handle glTF import. I cannot think of
>>> any existing Blender files that would need to be modified for a glTF
>>> importer.
>>>
>>> 3. Between the Python standard library and Blender's Python API, you
>> should
>>> have most, if not all, of the utility classes necessary for glTF import.
>>>
>>> 4. An importer should be able to import everything defined in the glTF
>>> spec. It will likely also need to support some glTF extensions such as
>>> KHR_materials_common (