[Bf-committers] REF: GSoC Import/Export Support

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 17:11:49 CEST 2017

Hello Benson,

As Mike mentioned, blendergltf (https://github.com/Kupoman/blendergltf),
handles glTF export from Blender, and it already exports everything in the
glTF 1.0 spec. There is certainly more work to do on glTF export (e.g.,
support more extensions, fix bugs, implement the glTF 2.0 draft spec, etc).
However, blendergltf is not currently under the Blender Foundation (nor any
org involved in GSoC), which makes glTF export a poor GSoC candidate.

This leaves glTF import. I am not sure if there is enough work on import to
support a GSoC project, but I will try to answer your questions.

1. You would start with easy things (meshes, nodes, cameras, materials,
etc.) and eventually move on to skeletal meshes and animations.

2. A new addon would be created to handle glTF import. I cannot think of
any existing Blender files that would need to be modified for a glTF
importer.

3. Between the Python standard library and Blender's Python API, you should
have most, if not all, of the utility classes necessary for glTF import.

4. An importer should be able to import everything defined in the glTF
spec. It will likely also need to support some glTF extensions such as
KHR_materials_common (
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/extensions/Khronos/KHR_materials_common)
and KHR_binary_glTF (
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/extensions/Khronos/KHR_binary_glTF