[Bf-committers] GSoC "OpenCL GPGPU Raytracing"

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:03:54 CET 2017

Hi Alvis, no you didn't send to the wrong mailing list - sometimes emails
just get overlooked.

While domain specific knowledge is helpful it isn't required for most of
the Blender GSoC projects.  I'd say about 2/3rds could be implemented
without prior significant 3D knowledge (other than basic algebra and
trig).  However, many projects do require quite a bit of coding skill and
possibly reading some math heavy papers, and there are definitely some
projects that would benefit a lot from prior domain experience.

Offhand almost anything in the second half of the page that isn't marked
'high difficulty' is probably approachable without prior experience with 3D
coding.  Even most of the medium difficulty in the first half of the page
would be approachable as long as you have a solid math background and are
capable of reading research papers.

LetterRip