[Bf-committers] Blender Mantaflow integration

David Ullmann robozyt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 22:34:19 CET 2017

Thanks for your reply Sebastián!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM Sebastián Barschkis <sebbas at sebbas.org>
wrote:

> Although the plan for Blender is still to build the new fluid solver
> around Python and geared towards a nodes setup...

nodes sounds delicious :)

> ...it still might be nice to work a bit on this C++ API. That way, we
> could replicate a Manta Python scene in plain C++ and see how it compares
> to the current Python script approach performance-wise (get some numbers).

I can try and look into that. In the experiments I did with my "plain C++"
Mantaflow last year, the conversion of the bundled scenes from python was
pretty straightforward. It was just a matter of adding header files with
declarations of the functions defined in the module files - for example
adding "flip.h"
where sampleLevelsetWithParticles, sampleFlagsWithParticles... get declared.
This was doable in a few hours, even for me as a non programmer :D

> And yes, I'd say involvement is definitely welcome! I can ask Nils about
> the Manta C++ API plans and who's currently working on it. Other than that,
> help with getting the branch stable and ready for review is also
> appreciated.

Awesome, please let me know if there are specific tasks!

David