[Bf-committers] Animating scene properties - getting to know the codebase

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 13 07:52:28 CET 2017

Thanks Joshua,
  please see my comments inline:

On 13/03/2017 07:20, Joshua Leung wrote:
[...]
> 1) BKE_animsys_evaluate_all_animation()  is (or should only be) used for
> the old depsgraph. The new depsgraph actually has proper nodes for
> evaluating the animation on each datablock, so we don't need something like
> this anymore. Therefore, at some point (maybe it's already done in the 2.8
> branch) this stuff is going away.

OK, I'll checkout the "blender2.8" branch and see how things work there.
Now, is there a possibility to have this bug fixed in blender 2.79 or is
that unrealistic?
I'm asking in order to know if it makes sense continuing improving my
patch or if I'd better just aim at fix it in 2.8.

> 2) The other part of the problem is that since animation evaluation gets
> applied directly onto the datablocks being animated, with something like
> the sequencer's scene strips, you'll get problems where unkeyed values get
> overwritten during the process of simply re-evaluating the strip (applying
> all the anim there to make it correct, then recalculating the current scene
> so that any things overwritten by the scene strip evaluation process gets
> put back in place).

*If* I understood you correctly, this is an issue I've already dealt
with, because I'm keeping track of the processed scenes in order to
avoid computing their animations twice.

Anyway, I'll check out the 2.8 branch and see how things work there. Is
there something I need to do in order to enable the new depsgraph (some
cmake flags?) or is that the default in 2.8?

Ciao,
  Alberto