[Bf-committers] Misguided maximums on fps, fps_base?

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Wed Jun 21 02:16:38 CEST 2017

Hi folks,
While doing some (Python) testing at work I ran into what seems to be a
misguided setting of maximum values on scene.render.fps and
scene.render.fps_base

As we know:
frame_rate = fps/fps_base
fps is an integer,
fps_base is a float
so for instance, we get:
29.97 = 30 / 1.001

I found that both fps and fps_base have a maximum of 120, presumably
with the intention of setting a max frame rate of 120. This does not
actually work as intended, for instance, ffprobe reports on some videos
values like 30000 and 1001, which should also give a framerate of
29.97, however in blender we get 1fps because 120 / 120 is 1!
and suppose we enter 30 and .01, then we get a framerate of 3000, which
is higher than 120.

I don't know who is responsible for this part of the code, but if you
agree this is a bug I'll file it in the tracker.
Cheers
Bassam