[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developers meeting notes - 2017-06-18

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jun 18 17:37:05 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 14 UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Blender 2.79 release

- A test build is available!
https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/

- Also check the release log in progress.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.79

- We're no in BCon4, means that we only do essential bug fixing for 1-2 weeks.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Process/Release_Cycle

- Look at the bug tracker, it has way too many open issues :/
https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/project/2/type/Bug/query/open/

2) The Blender 2.8 project

- Sergey Sharybin worked on a "copy on write" system for dependency updates (scene data).
Will commit everything tomorrow. This system allows scene data to co-exist in multiple states, or on
different frames.

- Campbell Barton committed the first 'custom manipulators' for Operators.
A user posted it on twitter, social media loves this!
https://twitter.com/_rachinskiy/status/876136422641676288

- Also new, a Cloth sim and Grease Pencil article on the code blog:
https://code.blender.org/

3) GSoC and other projects

- Google summer of code students: next week the first evaluation happens.

- Joey Ferwerda announces a hackaton sprint (15+ devs) on OpenHMD in July.
We then will also setup an official buildbot for binary downloads.

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands