[Bf-committers] Automatic DPI detection issues

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Jul 13 13:50:20 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>
wrote:

> How would one know which scale factor to apply? That scaling factor would
> depend on a value which Blender detected and which is impossible to know
> unless you start doing python onelines in the console (which is not
> friendly at all).

It the UI is too small you scale it up, if it's too big you scale it down?

> My X11 server was reporting weird DPI of (88 x 89), which was only causing
> problems in Blender running with factory startup. All other applications
> and Blender with my previously saved suerprefs are displaying fonts
> properly.

It's not clear to me what you mean by improperly displayed fonts here, I
tried various DPI values in 2.78 and various UI scale values in master and
the fonts always look ok to me.

> What i'm saying is:
>
> - Using auto DPI for faqctory startup but not for saved userprefs is just
> wrong.

It uses auto DPI for both. What happens is that when you have saved user
preferences, it automatically sets the UI scale to preserve backwards
compatibility.

> - Not reporting detected DPI is also wrong.

I don't know of any other application reporting this in the UI, why does
the absolute value matter to the user?

> - Not being able to correct auto-detected DPI also sounds wrong. All the DE
> will have option to override X11 DPI specifically for the case when X11
> reports wrong DPI.

Again, it can be corrected by changing the UI scale. This is fully
equivalent to adjusting the DPI value.