[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developer meeting notes: 2017-01-01

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 1 17:40:46 CET 2017

Hi all,

Happy new year! 2017 will be the year of 2.8, exciting times ahead.
Below are the notes from today's 15 UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) Blender 2.8 projects

- Lukas Toenne restored particles/hair code in the 2.8 branch.
Sergey Sharybin and Bastien Montagne will work on partially restructuring it, to work with
new depsgraph and to make it simpler to replace by a node system later.

- Physics (for example fracture modifier): we need good way to generalise internally generated
data and external caches. A topic for the physics team to work on: Sergey, Bastien, Martin Felke,
Luca Rood, Alexander Gavrilov will connect about this to align design well.

- Antonio Vazquez worked on Pallettes in Blender. He will need help getting animation support for it.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Antoniov/Convert_bGPDpalettes_to_BlenderPalettes#Use_of_the_Palettes_in_Grease_Pencil

2) Other projects

- It's 2017, so we can talk about an update release (2.79). Let's gather topics here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Suggested for an update release are:
  - Cycles update for Cuda/Intel/AMD fixes and optimizations
  - OpenHMD support (VR)
  - GSoC projects

That's it for now, next week more!

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands