[Bf-committers] Bug Fixing process survey

Eibriel eibriel at eibriel.com
Thu Feb 16 20:02:01 CET 2017

Hi Ton,
I'll be happy to discuss ideas about how bug fixing could be improved.

My interest on this came not from any flaw on the current process, but after learning about the possibility of Machine Learning to assist with some tasks.

Some time ago I presented here the idea to automatically tag Bug Reports as "Incomplete", and I get very good feedback explaining why that is not as useful as I previously thought.

Other aspects where Machine Learning could help are:

- Reproducing the issue
- Finding the section of code to change
- Making the actual change
- Validating the changes

Reproducing the issue using Machine Learning is extremely hard, beyond current possibilities. This is a Reinforcement Learning problem, the only think we can do here is to add Blender to OpenAI Universe framework, so researchers can play with it.

Finding the section of code to change is currently possible, the software could read the description and output a list of Files or Functions with related code.

Making the actual change is only possible for a marginal type of issues.

And validating the changes have the same limitations as Reproducing the issue.

So currently the only step I can work on is "Finding the section of code to change", How useful could be such tool, and what characteristics should it have?
Also, do you have some ideas about other places where Machine Learning could be useful?

Bests,
Gabriel

El 16 de febrero de 2017 10:26:11 GMT-03:00, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> escribió:
>Hi Eibriel,
>
>I am not sure what you want this for, or what this will be used for, or
>what the use in general.
>Making good questionnaires is hard and often a huge waste of time for
>everyone. Usually it just satisfies personal curiosity.
>
>In the future, I would appreciate it when people who feel the urge to
>send questionnaires to this list, to suppress that feeling.
>
>When people think that our bug fixing process needs to be improved, I'd
>be happy to discuss it here.
>
>All the best,
>
>-Ton-

>Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org
>Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
>Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
>

>> On 16 Feb 2017, at 13:06, Eibriel <eibriel at eibriel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all developers that completed the survey.
>> If you are new with Blender, with zero or just a couples of commits
>don't be shy, this survey is exactly for you!
>>
>> Survey: https://goo.gl/forms/u6CQ3clsRBrGiVnw1
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Eibriel
>>

>> El 13 de febrero de 2017 19:50:17 GMT-03:00, Eibriel
><eibriel at eibriel.com> escribió:
>>> Hi! I'm doing a small survey to spot bottlenecks on the Bug Fixing
>>> process,
>>>
>>> https://goo.gl/forms/u6CQ3clsRBrGiVnw1
>>>
>>> please feel free to fill it, and share it! (I don't have Twitter)
>>>
>>> Thanks! :D
>>
>> --
>> Eibriel

Eibriel